Monday, June 27, 2011

Who will do it if they don't?

Yesterday I saw a link to Sanctuary Evolucion, a shelter and so much more for abandoned and neglected or unwanted dogs and cats.  I have seen articles in Yucatan Today and Yucatan Living and the "Dog of the Week" videos produced by In the Yucatan, but this link is to a new program initiated by Evolucion founder Silvia Cortés and her staff of volunteers. There is an amazing and heart-warming video about teaching kids that abandoning an animal to the streets is an act of violence. It is a violent act to leave a dog locked in an abandoned home to starve to death. As a Boy Scout badge shows, it is about learning 'Respeto - Compasión - Responsabilidad'.  The program was initiated in an effort to stem the incidence of domestic and other acts of violence in the Yucatan by teaching children to respect and appreciate all living things.  I have not seen estimates for the number of abused animals in Mexico, but the Humane Society of the United States (HUSU) estimates that animal shelters care for 6-8 million dogs and cats every year, of whom approximately 3-4 million are euthanized. This is a sad and alarming statistic.  When we finally make it to Mérida full time, I know where I will be volunteering.



It's even hot in the shade



All images from Sanctuary Evolution Website

7 comments:

  1. It really breaks my heart to see all these beautiful dogs and cats without a home! Spay and neuter is so important to control this. I know where I will be volunteering too, right along side of you... I will have to control my urge to adopt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... we adopted Beejay and Mr. Jules at the same time, said that was enough, but then along came Keny and we fell in love with her. They are a handfull at times, but I can't imagine life without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three rescue cats, a siamese, a tonkinese and a ragdoll... I would love to get a large dog when we get to Merida. The problem becomes when we want to travel! If I can figure that out, the adoption may happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can volunteer whenever you are here. My daughter and I always go on Wednesdays and Saturdays when we come to our house and often foster puppies in need of extra attention. You can also donate as right now there is not enough money for food for the month of August. On their website there is a donate button which takes you to paypal.

    We have two wonderful dogs back in NYC that we rescued in Merida and flew back to NY. Our youngest one is from Evolution. Two of the best dogs we've ever had. Right now we are here for 6 weeks and are fostering 2 month and 6 month old puppies. They are a joy.

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just warmed my heart with this comment. I will definitely make a donation. Thanks and have a great time in Merida.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to have more dog lovers in the 'neighborhood'. ¡Bienvenidos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Roni, and thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete